To export a course for translation when the course is open:
- From the Application Menu, select Export.
- Click For Translation from the Translation section.
- The Export For Translation window opens.
- Select the Language, Theme and enter the duplicate course Title.
- Select the File Format (Excel or XML) and other Export Options, such as whether to include the glossary (Global: Any Glossary term used in your Claro that has been marked as Global, Project: Any Glossary term used in any course belonging to the same Project and marked as Project), page notes, transcripts, page preview links, and authoring metadata. Tip: If you've included these options in your Publishing Profile, you'll likely want them included here as well.
- Select Export. Your translation file will download.
If you selected Excel as your file format, all on-screen text appears in separate cells to make it easier to map the translated text back into the course. Image alt text is also included. Do not alter any of the existing information in the file. Use the Updated Text column to enter new text for each element. If you don't want to update the text for an element, simply leave the Updated Text cell blank.
If you selected XML as your file format, open and edit the XML file using your favorite tool.
Note: It is important that you edit the correct portion of the XML. The translation text should be placed within <TRANSLATION></TRANSLATION> inside the CDATA tag.
Example : <TEXT><![CDATA[ I AM THE ORIGINAL TEXT ]]></TEXT> <TRANSLATION><![CDATA[ I AM THE TRANSLATED TEXT ]]></TRANSLATION>
Note: If you want to replace an existing translation with a new one starting from scratch, you will need to delete the old translated course first. Browse Courses > locate and select course (if it has been exported, but not yet imported, you'll need to change the Status in the Advanced Filters to Pending Translation) > Actions > Delete > Yes.
For successive duplications of a course for multiple translations:
- Select the Browse Courses from the QuickLinks toolbar or SplashBoard.
- Locate and select the course you want to translate. The course Details will display on the right panel.
- Select Actions.
- Select Duplicate For Translation.
- Select the Language, Theme and assign a New Title.
- Select the File Format (Excel or XML) and other Export Options.
- Select Duplicate. The numeral next to the course Type will now increment by one to indicate another duplication has been made. You may now repeat the process for all other languages.
- Once you've finished creating your duplicates, you can open the master course and Export For Translation.
- When you select the Language you will get the Translation Exists for this Language prompt. Select Download to download the translation file. Repeat for all other languages. Edit the file as instructed above in Step 6 of To export a course for translation when the course is open.
See How do I import a translated text file or import text from an Excel file? for information on importing text.
Note: If the course you're copying contains a Course Style, the Style will not be copied at this time. This is to prevent the selected Style from interfering with translations to languages that may require characters that aren't available in the selected Style. If you wish to apply the Style to your newly copied course, simply open the new course and use the Style Manager to manually copy the selected Style into the new course. The Style will then automatically apply to the appropriate locations within the course.
Note: Export Translation File and Import Translated File are available only for Workgroup and Enterprise customers.